We want to encourage you to celebrate St Davids day this year, and what better way to do it than by making my Aunite Anne’s Welsh cakes! Perfect with a bit of homemade jam or for serious indulgence, some clotted cream.
Ingredients (makes 15 cakes)
- 225g self raising flour
- pinch salt
- 100g margarine
- 50g caster sugar
- 50g currants
- 1 egg
- 2tbsps milk
- Mix the flour and salt together, then rub in the margarine until you get a breadcrumb like consistency.
- Now stir in the sugar.
- Beat the egg and milk together, then add to the flour, marg and sugar until you have a stiff dough.
- With a dusting of flour, roll out to about 5mm thick and cut into rounds.
- Put a frying pan on a medium heat with a bit of oil, then fry the cakes for about three minutes on each side – until golden brown.
- Then they’re ready to serve!