The cake just makes me think of summer, lush for a summer party or a birthday! It’s my mum’s lemon cake recipe, which is honestly the best recipe ever! She is the queen of lemon cake and now I am sharing the secret!
A super light lemon sponge with fresh raspberries, sandwiched with homemade raspberry jam and a lemony frosting.
Ingredients: (makes 3 layer 8″ round cake)
For the sponge:
- 450g softened butter
- 450g caster sugar
- 550g self raising flour
- 4 tsps baking powder
- 8 eggs
- 8 tbsps milk
- zest and juice of 4 lemons
- 100g frozen raspberries
- 350g granulated sugar
- 150g raspberry jam
For the icing:
- 150g softened butter
- 240g cream cheese
- 840g sifted icing sugar
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Line three 8″ round cake tins with baking paper and pre heat the oven to 160 degrees.
- In a mixer cream together the butter and sugar with the lemon zest until soft and fluffy, adding the lemon zest now really brings out the flavour of the lemon.
- Add the eggs one at a time, making sure you beat well in between each egg. If you find it splits then just add a spoonful of your flour in between the eggs and it’ll smooth it out.
- Then sift in the flour and baking powder for some extra lightness. Beat this until all mixed in and is nice and smooth.
- Lastly add in the milk, plus a splash of boiling water, and slightly mix. Make sure you only mix a little as you don’t want to over mix the batter.
- Place it evenly in each cake tin, and spread out the raspberries into each layer.
- Bake for 25 minutes, check they’re ready by pushing down on the top of the cake, if it bounces back then it’s ready. They should be nice and golden and risen a little.
- Whilst your cake is cooling, mix the sugar with the lemon juice and brush on top of the cakes whilst they’re still a little warm. This gives an amazing crunchy lemony sugar on top of the cakes, plus the lemon juice sinks into the cake and makes it really moist.
- Remove the cakes from their tins once they’re cool enough and leave them to cool down fully.
- Now you can make the icing, in a mixer beat the butter with the cream cheese and lemon zest. Do this until it’s light and creamy, for about 5 minutes.
- Now sift in the icing sugar in 2 parts, mixing well in between each batch.
- Once it’s all mixed together add the lemon juice to taste and it’s ready!
- Place in a piping bag with a star nozzle, making sure you’ve got rid of any air bubbles.
- Now you’re ready to assemble!
- Place your first layer of cake on a 8″ cake board, sticking it down with a little of the icing. Then pipe blobs of the icing around the edge of the cake in two rows, then spread the raspberry jam in the centre. Put your second layer of cake on top and do this again.
- Once you’ve got on your final layer fill the top with blobs, starting around the outside working your way into the middle. Then decorate with fresh raspberries, sprinkles or edible flowers would look amazing and enjoy!