Christmas is nearly here! So what perfect way to start then to make these delicious gingerbread brownies, a fiery gingerbread base topped with our gooey brownie is the best combination.
Ingredients (makes 16 slices)
- 200g dark chocolate
- 250g butter
- 360g caster sugar
- 4 free range eggs
- 70g plain flour
- 80g cocoa powder
- 1tsp baking powder
For the gingerbread:
- 350g plain flour
- 2tsp ground ginger
- 1/2tsp bicarb
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 125g butter (softened)
- 175g soft light brown sugar
- 1 free range egg
- 60g golden syrup
- First off pre heat your oven to 170 degrees and line a tray bake tin with baking paper.
- To make your gingerbread beat together the flour, ginger, bicarb, cinnamon, butter and sugar for a few minutes, then gently beat in the egg and golden syrup.
- Then press about a third of your dough into the bottom of your tray bake tin until all spread evenly. You can freeze the rest of your dough or just use it to make some gingerbread cookies!
- Now for your brownie batter.
- Melt together your butter and chocolate, stirring to make sure it doesn’t burn. Then set aside until slightly cooler.
- Whilst this is cooling whisk together your eggs and sugar until pale and thick. You should be able to draw a figure of eight in the mixture without it disappearing, this is when you know it’s ready.
- Once you’re at this stage slowly pour in your chocolate mixture, whilst still mixing, until all combined. Then sieve in your flour, cocoa and baking powder.
- Combine again for a few minutes then scrape the sides of the bowl just to make sure everything is mixed thoroughly.
- Now pour over the top of your gingerbread base and smooth out the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, to know that it’s ready it should have a slight wobble still in the middle. But don’t panic it’ll keep cooking as it cools and you want your brownie to be gooey in the centre.
- Cut into 16 slices and enjoy!